BEYOND THE BAGEL
BEYOND THE BAGEL
Renowned worldwide for its unique take on Jewish cuisine, Montreal is the birthplace of countless Jewish foods, both iconic and overlooked. Experience the rich and delicious Jewish food culture of Montreal’s Mile End and Plateau neighbourhoods by visiting decades-old food institutions alongside new businesses that are revitalizing the city’s food scene. We’ll also travel to backyards and alleyways to uncover this city’s hidden Jewish food history and taste nearly forgotten delicacies. And of course you’ll get to feast on the classics like smoked meat and bagels, so make sure to bring a healthy appetite!
$55 AGES 14–17
$35 AGES 6–13
AGES 0–5 ARE FREE
- Created by a Jewish food historian and experts in Montreal’s Jewish history, this tour offers a unique take on the city’s Jewish food history through personal narratives, recipes, and photos gathered from restaurants, business owners and their families.
- The seven food tastings include some of Montreal’s iconic dishes: a Schwartz’s smoked meat sandwich, Saint-Viateur and Fairmount bagels, and the Wilensky Special. Come with a healthy appetite!
- Get an insider’s perspective on the stories behind Montreal’s Jewish culinary institutions, including well-known spots like Beauty’s and Moishes, foods from Montreal’s Hasidic community, and tastes of businesses that no longer exist.
- Learn about the resurgence of Montreal’s Jewish food scene and visit the establishments that are contributing to this movement.
- Explore the main streets and back alleys of the eclectic Plateau and Mile End neighbourhoods while learning the fascinating history of these traditionally Jewish neighbourhoods.
- Our friendly and knowledgeable tour guides are university-level researchers and will answer your questions and lead discussions throughout the tour experience.
- This tour is not certified kosher/kashrut, and cannot provide vegan, gluten, or allergen-free alternatives. Vegetarian alternatives are available on the tour. Food is included in the price of the Beyond the Bagel tour.
The Rialto Theatre, 5723 Park Ave (Corner rue Bernard Ouest)
Museum of Jewish Montreal, 4040 boul. St-Laurent (intersection Duluth)
- Moderate walking (tour is approx. 3.5 km and lasts 3 to 4 hours)
- Please inform the Museum of any relevant accessibility needs upon booking your tour.
- Tours can generally be made to accommodate different mobility and accessibility needs. Note that Montreal’s sidewalks and roads are often under construction or poorly kept, which can further impact accessing our tours.
- This tour is not entirely wheelchair accessible; some visited food establishments have steps. However, we are happy to provide accommodation for all levels of mobility to the best of our ability.
- The Museum of Jewish Montreal’s space is wheelchair accessible.
- Tour ticket exchanges must be requested 48 hours in advance; only cancellations made 24 hours in advance of tours will be refunded. Cancellations with less than 24 hours notice will only be refunded in the event of severe storm conditions or in the presence of lightning.
- For rates and availabilities for group or private tours, contact email@example.com.
- We do not provide bus, bike, or car tours. We can provide recommendations for bus or car tour guides if desired.
- Our outdoor tours run from mid-March to mid-November (weather permitting). Bookable public tour dates are released a minimum of 2 months prior to the date of the tour.
- Special requests for private walking tours from mid-November to mid-March can be arranged (weather permitting) by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.