CALL FOR OUTDOOR 2019 MURAL PROPOSALS
Deadline: January 9th, 2019 at 11:59pm
Deadline Extended: January 23th, 2019 at 11:59pm
The Museum of Jewish Montreal is currently accepting proposals for outdoor murals. The mural is to be completed in early June 2019, during MURAL Festival. Artists of all mediums are invited to propose a mural concept for consideration. Applications from individual artists, groups or collectives will be considered.
The Museum of Jewish Montreal (MJM) is a not-for-profit organization that explores and shares the diverse histories and experiences of Montreal’s Jewish community. Through innovative, multidisciplinary programming, our museum provides an accessible gateway for people across Canada to learn about and interact with Montreal’s Jewish culture, art and heritage while also enabling the public to share their stories and experiences.
Our 2018-2019 art programming series Movement & Migrations addresses local and global mobilities – whether physical, spiritual, ideological, or emotional – and exemplifies our model for a museum that explores the intersections of contemporary art, heritage, and community building. Works that bear a strong demonstrable connection to the Movement & Migrations theme, our Museum’s mandate and/or celebrate women (especially those from Montreal’s Jewish community) are of particular interest. We will accept other proposals as well. We also encourage and support collaborations between artists and community partners in order to foster closer connections between the greater Montreal public and its diverse Jewish cultures.
Deadline: January 23, 2019 at 11:59pm (Montreal time/Eastern Time Zone)
Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject Line: 2019 Mural Proposal: Last Name, First Name
Please submit applications as a single pdf file. (max 25MB)
- Name of Artist(s):
- Main Contact info (e-mail, phone, address):
- A brief artist(s) bio (250 words max):
- Website or URL link to represent examples of previous work:
- Artist statement (500 words max): outline the concept of your mural proposal and how it relates the museum’s mandate and/or 2018/19 art programming series: Movement & Migrations
- Technical requirements (500 words max): Briefly outline what materials you will be using and how you plan to execute the mural. Include any special equipment that will be needed.
- Up to 3 images/sketches of proposed mural concept. Dimensions of wall space have not been confirmed yet, so sketches of a single concept adapted to different dimensions are highly encouraged.
Selection criteria will be based on artistic creativity, previous experience, feasibility (technical requirements and cost), and how the concept relates to the thematic guidelines listed above.
The Museum of Jewish Montreal encourages diversity and welcomes applicants from all backgrounds. All applicants will receive a confirmation of received proposals. Selected participants will be notified by February 2019. Materials will be supplied by the Museum, however Artists are responsible for any materials beyond the stipulated budget. CARFAC/RAAV exhibition fees for the creation of a work in public apply to artist compensation.
Please note: the Museum of Jewish Montreal has a limited amount of time to review each submission and greatly appreciates all applications that are complete and presented in a clear and organized manner. Applications that are incomplete or do not adhere to the guidelines will not be considered.