Food and Beverage Director – Job Posting
Organization: Museum of Jewish Montreal
Start date: April 1st, 2020
Salary: $32,000-$35,000 (based on experience) with potential for performance bonuses
Application deadline: March 18th, 2020
Fletchers Espace Culinaire is a café and food space that serves food inspired by Montreal’s diverse Jewish community and aims to teach people about the stories and history behind each dish being served. Fletchers is located at the Museum of Jewish Montreal (MJM) in the Plateau, which is an innovative place to connect with Montreal’s Jewish life and identity, share our diverse heritage, and create new cultural experiences.
We’re looking for a motivated and food-loving individual to join our team as the Food and Beverage Director of Fletchers, the food space of the Museum. In this position you’ll be working on and overseeing various operational areas of the restaurant:
- Overseeing the day-to-day operations of Fletchers, which includes opening and closing the cafe, inventory management and purchasing, staff management, catering contract management, menu creation and testing, prep and cooking for lunch and brunch service, musical brunch event management, as well as the use of social media platforms to effectively market Fletchers.
- Creating an environment for customers that is welcoming and warm, along with the creation and maintenance of systems to ensure that all customers are satisfied with food and service.
- Creating an environment for employees that is friendly and supportive, yet hard-working and that promotes the growth and learning of employees.
- Managing the HR of Fletchers Espace Culinaire, including recruiting, hiring, training new staff members and scheduling.
- Managing all aspects of staff performance in accordance with established service standards and staff training guidelines, and ensuring that staff know and adhere to established steps of service and service standards. Alongside this, conducting performance appraisals and taking disciplinary action when needed.
- Ensuring revenue growth and profits via close management of Fletchers budgets and financials, through the costing out of dishes on the menu to ensure their profitability, reviewing sales trends and adjusting the menu and resources accordingly, and creating financial reports to be reviewed by the Museum’s Executive Director.
- Championing the Museum’s mission as an innovative place to connect with Montreal’s Jewish life and identity, share our diverse heritage, and create new cultural experiences, and working with other Museum Directors to maintain a complementary and collaborative relationship between Fletchers and the Museum activities.
Experience you’ll bring to the table:
- 1-3 years experience working as a cook or have completed a culinary school degree.
- 1-3 years of management experience in either a food service, hospitality or retail environment.
- Curiosity and openness to learning about Jewish cuisine is a requirement. Knowledge or love of Jewish cuisine an asset.
- Loves to create and test new dishes, along with the ability to convert dishes into clearly written recipes that can be followed by all staff members, and ensuring that they can be profitable.
- A strong work ethic and readiness for a job that can be physically demanding.
- Effective delegator and efficient manager of time (both of self and others).
- Strong ability to work with others, managing other individuals and growing their skills, while also working with supervisors, receiving feedback positively and collaboratively.
- Exceptional organizational and multitasking skills, as well as being a strategic thinker who has strong analytical and decision-making skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- High level of integrity, responsibility, accountability, self-awareness, and empathy.
- Has driver’s licence (required) and access to a vehicle (an asset).
- Willingness to have flexible schedule and periodically work weekends or evenings.
- Able to balance day-to-day tasks and goals with longer-term vision and strategies developed in conjunction with other management.
- Entrepreneurial mindset with the ability to take on a sense of ownership for this business and its success, the initiative to look for opportunities to expand the business and revenues, and the desire to expand their own knowledge, skills and capacities.
To apply, please email your CV and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by March 18th, 2020.
Please contact Katherine Romanow or Aviv Milgram at 514 840 9300 or email@example.com if you have any questions about the application process.