FRONT OF HOUSE & EVENT SUPPORT STAFF
Part-time: 8-12 hours/week
4-month contract: November 27th – March 3rd, with the option to extend
The Museum of Jewish Montreal (MJM) – an innovative place to connect with Montreal’s Jewish life and identity, share our diverse heritage, and create new cultural experiences – is seeking outgoing, bilingual front of house and event support personnel to welcome the public to our contemporary art exhibitions and cultural events at our new space in the Plateau Mont-Royal.
Our Front of House and Event Support Staff act as ambassadors of the museum, and the first point of contact for guests to learn about the Museum and its programmes! We’re looking for new team members who enjoy interacting with the public, are good communicators, excited about art, culture, and/or history, and have an excellent sense of responsibility and teamwork.
- Ensuring that guests feel welcome in the space by greeting them, answering questions and explaining the Museum’s mission and operations
- Performing bookings and ticket sales for walking tours and museum events in person and over the phone
- Handling sales on Museum POS for event entry, refreshments, merchandise, and other goods
- Checking in guests to exhibitions and during events
- Receptionist duties such as answering calls from the public, passing along inquiries to relevant full-time staff, and returning voicemails
- Assisting in event set-up and run-of-show duties during public and private Museum events and programmes, both at the Museum space and – when applicable – off-site.
- Bartending for Museum events (pouring wine, serving beer, minimal drink mixing)
- Opening and closing duties, including minimal tidying, resetting the gallery space, inventory counts, POS opening and closing, and replenishing supplies.
Please note, this position requires low-level physical activity such as carrying supplies upstairs and moving equipment weighing up to 10 lbs.
The ideal candidate will possess strong interpersonal skills, an interest in the Museum’s activities and the ability to learn quickly and problem-solve effectively while working independently. Previous experience in customer service roles is a considerable asset, as is sales and/or tourism industries. No prior knowledge of Jewish history is required, but an interest in Montreal’s history, Jewish culture, contemporary art, and/or museums is an asset! Spoken proficiency in both English and French is required.
To apply, please submit the following to firstname.lastname@example.org by 11:59pm on Monday, November 13th:
- Short cover letter highlighting relevant skills and work experience for the position
- General availability on Thursdays – Sundays during the contract period
Please contact Gautier at email@example.com or 514 840-9300 if you have any questions about the application process. Please note due to staff resource and time constraints, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Museum of Jewish Montreal is committed to ensuring that we are an inclusive space and encourage applications from everyone, including but not limited to women, Indigenous peoples, visible minorities, people with disabilities, and persons of all sexual and gender identities.