Organization: Museum of Jewish Montreal
Job Title: Development Manager
Location: Montreal, QC (currently work from home)
Start Date: Mid-late May 2021
Compensation: $38,500-$47,500 (depending on experience) with potential of performance-based bonus
Commitment: Permanent, full-time
Application Deadline: May 16, 2021 by 11:59PM EST
The Museum of Jewish Montreal – an innovative place to connect with Montreal’s diverse Jewish life and heritage through new cultural experiences – is seeking a Development Manager to help further professionalize and expand our Museum’s fundraising reach and infrastructure by crafting and implementing fundraising strategy, building and managing administrative processes, conceptualizing and managing fundraising campaigns and events, assisting in identifying, developing, and managing relationships with donors and volunteers, and co-leading our Fundraising Committee. Reporting to the Executive Director, the Development Manager will:
- Craft and implement overall fundraising strategy with Executive Director and Director of Strategic Initiatives, in consultation with Fundraising Committee and Board.
- Conceptualize and manage special fundraising campaigns, online campaigns, and/or letter-writing campaigns with relevant staff and committee members.
- Build and maintain fundraising processes, including:
- Following-up to inquiries for gifts or for donors needing technical support.
- Tracking all gifts in CRM, and ensuring thank yous, charitable receipts, and further donor stewardship communications are sent and filed.
- Maintaining donor database, and connecting donors to tailored programming lists.
- Co-manage the Fundraising Committee with Executive Director, and make regular reports to Fundraising Committee and Board.
- Support Executive Director / Artistic Director in stewarding relations with donors and foundations, including follow-up emails, setting up meetings, and certain communications.
- Prospect for new funders, and work with Executive Director to connect with them.
- Manage creation or updating of fundraising communications materials.
- Co-lead coordination of fundraising events with Programming Manager in conjunction with Executive Director, Fundraising Committee, and event co-chairs.
- Interface with Executive Director and Director of Strategic Initiatives in developing broader funding strategy and matching Museum needs with funding opportunities.
The ideal candidate for this role is a strategically-minded, detail-oriented, and organized individual who loves collaborative problem-solving, building systems, and connecting dots between various organizational elements. The candidate should be excited about the prospect of elevating and further professionalizing the Museum’s fundraising as our organization grows and makes a greater impact on our visitors and Montreal’s cultural scene. Applicants should ideally have:
- 1-3 years in not-for-profit management, ideally with cultural/community organizations.
- Prior experience in coordinating events or fundraising campaigns, including experience in event management, logistics, creating and managing budgets and expenses.
- Interest in forming relationships with and working with external donors and partners. Experience with donor relations is an asset.
- Experience with administrative tasks and database management is an asset.
- Familiarity with the philanthropic sector, granting agencies, and current best practices.
- Ability to work well with others – managing relationships with donors, foundations, community members, volunteers, and other staff, while also working closely with supervisors and a tight-knit Museum team.
- Curiosity, openness, and interest in learning about Montreal’s Jewish culture, heritage and community, with prior knowledge or experience an asset.
- Experience with Microsoft and Google Suite, Zoom, WordPress, Facebook, Instagram, and CRMs. Knowledge or experience with graphic design and programs like Adobe Suite, or other platforms and apps, is an asset.
- Academic background or interest in Fundraising and Philanthropy, Not-For-Profit or Arts Management, Communications, Marketing, an asset, but not required.
- Strong project management, time management, delegation, and decision-making skills, along with exceptional organizational and multitasking skills.
- A desire to create and improve upon systems that optimize work for themselves and for others in the organization.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English and French.
- Willingness to periodically work weekend or evening events or for meetings with donors.
Interested individuals may apply directly to the Museum of Jewish Montreal by sending a CV and a cover letter. All materials are due by May 16, 2021 at 11:59PM EST and should be emailed to email@example.com the subject line “Development Manager Application”.
The Museum of Jewish Montreal is committed to ensuring that we are an inclusive space and encourage applications from everyone, including but not limited to women, Indigenous peoples, visible minorities, people with disabilities, and persons of all sexual orientations and gender identities.