Job Title: Research Fellow
Start Date: Week of October 21, 2019
End Date: January 31, 2019
Commitment: 12-15 hours/week (minimum 180 hours during contract)
Application Due: Tuesday October 15, 2019
The Museum of Jewish Montreal—a not-for-profit organization that explores and shares the diverse histories and experiences of Montreal’s Jewish community—is seeking 3 qualified students to join our team as Research Fellows. Beginning mid-October 2019 and running through January 2020, the program is designed to help university students interested in pursuing museum careers acquire the skills they need to work successfully in the cultural and heritage sectors. Participants will have the opportunity to engage in exciting research projects and gain experience working in a museum setting. Responsibilities will include: providing research and production assistance for a new walking tour; possibly learning to lead that walking tour and subsequently leading the tour for diverse audiences; animating Museum visits at our welcome desk; and engaging in other Museum research projects as they arise.
The ideal candidate will be excited about the prospect of undertaking original research into under-examined portions of Canadian history, have an interest in exploring and facilitating intercultural dialogue, and have a desire to increase Canadians’ access to culture and heritage. Applicants must have strong research and writing skills and a background in humanities or social sciences, with preference given to students who are pursuing degrees or have a demonstrated interest or background in Museology or Curatorial Studies, History, Art History, Public History, Anthropology, Canadian Studies, Québec Studies, or Jewish Studies. Applicants must be fluent in either French or English, and must possess at least intermediate capabilities in the other language.
In accordance with the Young Canada Works Student Eligibility Criteria, you are only eligible for the Research Fellowship program if you:
- are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident, or have refugee status in Canada; Note: Non-Canadian students holding temporary work visas or awaiting permanent status are not eligible;
- are legally entitled to work in Canada;
- are between 16 and 30 years of age at the start of employment;
- meet the eligibility criteria of the program for which you are applying;
- are registered in the YCW on-line candidate inventory;
- are willing to commit to the full duration of the work assignment;
- do not have another full-time job (over 30 hours a week) while employed with YCW;
- have been a full-time student (as defined by your educational institution) in the semester preceding the YCW job and intend to return to full-time studies in the semester following the YCW job.
Further details and registration materials are available at https://www.youngcanadaworks.ca. Interested individuals who meet the above criteria may apply directly to the Museum of Jewish Montreal by emailing a CV, cover letter, unofficial transcript, and writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject of “Research Fellowship Application.” Applications are due October 15, 2019.