Museum of Jewish Montreal – Research Fellowship
Organization: The Museum of Jewish Montreal
Job Title: Research Fellow
Location: Montreal, QC
Start Date: Monday May 16, 2022
Commitment: 32 hours/week
Application Due: March 31, 2022
The Museum of Jewish Montreal—an innovative place to connect with Montreal’s diverse Jewish life and heritage through new cultural experiences—is seeking qualified students to join our team as Research Fellows. Beginning on May 16th, and running through the summer, the program is designed to help university students interested in pursuing museum careers acquire the skills they need to work successfully in the cultural and heritage sectors. Participants will gain professional experience in researching and updating historical walking tours, conducting primary research for future museum exhibitions, collecting oral histories, animating Museum visits, and leading walking tours and/or virtual tours around the city in English and/or French.
Responsibilities will include:
- Assisting on research, writing and sourcebook creation to enhance Museum’s historical walking tours and contribute to the creation of a new heritage tour.
- Engaging in primary research, database management, and digital mapping for historical neighbourhood locations, to be used on future Museum exhibition projects;
- Collecting and audio-editing oral histories;
- Animating Museum visits at our welcome desk;
- Leading historical neighbourhood walking tours or virtual tours for diverse audiences;
- Engaging in weekly seminars designed to further participants’ knowledge of Canadian and Jewish cultural heritage and contemporary museum practices.
The ideal candidate will be excited about the prospect of undertaking original research into under-examined portions of Canadian history, have an interest in exploring and facilitating intercultural dialogue, and have a desire to increase Canadians’ access to culture and heritage. Applicants must have strong research and writing skills and a background in humanities or social sciences, with preference given to students who are pursuing degrees or have a demonstrated interest or background in Museology or Curatorial Studies, History, Art History, Public History, Anthropology, Sociology, Canadian Studies, Québec Studies, or Jewish Studies. Because of the program’s location and responsibilities, applicants must be fluent in either French or English, and must possess at least intermediate capabilities in the other language.
In accordance with the Young Canada Works Student Eligibility Criteria, you are only eligible for the Research Fellowship program if you:
- Are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident, or have refugee status in Canada; Note: Non-Canadian students holding temporary work visas or awaiting permanent status are not eligible.
- Are legally entitled to work in Canada;
- Are between 16 and 30 years of age at the start of employment;
- Meet the eligibility criteria of the program for which you are applying;
- Are registered in the YCW online candidate inventory;
- Are willing to commit to the full duration of the work assignment;
- Do not have another full-time job (over 30 hours a week) while employed with YCW;
- Have been a full-time student (as defined by your educational institution) in the semester preceding the YCW job and intend to return to full-time studies in the semester following the YCW job
Further details and registration materials are available at https://www.youngcanadaworks.ca. Interested individuals who meet the above criteria may apply directly to the Museum of Jewish Montreal by emailing a CV, cover letter, unofficial transcript, and writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject of “Research Fellowship Application.” Applications are due by March 31 at 5 PM.
The Museum of Jewish Montreal is committed to ensuring that we are an inclusive space and encourage applications from everyone, including but not limited to women, Indigenous peoples, visible minorities, people with disabilities, and persons of all sexual orientations and gender identities.